Monday 17 September 2012

Behind the Artist: The development of accessing media


Doing some research I discovered that the way in which I currently access music has changed or even  evolved from the way that my parents used to access it.

After an extensive interview with my mum I found out many new and interest things about the way that she listened to music and also how the music choices she made shaped her lifestyle.
-The Interview-

Q: What Genre of music did you listen to as a girl?

A: Pop, Musicals(grease) and Reggae

Q: How did the music you were listening to shape your lifestyle choices?

A: I found that I would be interested in certain dance move that were associated with a certain song. Plus it would also have an affect on the clothes I wore.

Q: What particular music was popular during that time?

A: Popular music was stuff like Reggae and Pop.

Q: Who were the main bands and artists of the time?

A: There were bands such as Rolling Stones with Honky Tonk Woman and The archers with Sugar, Sugar. on top of these bands they was also artists such as Chris De Burgh with Lady in Red and Bob Marley with Buffalo Soldier.

Q: What were your main routes for accessing this music?

A: I would listen to my music using Vinyl, Cassettes, Radio and TV 

 
Q: What were your sources for information on the music industry?

A: I used magazines and papers to learn about the artists that I loved most.

From this Q and A, I can see that the methods for retrieval of medi has become somewhat less localised over the ast few years and that are many more avenues from which to acces the media. On the other hand however the process of gathering this information and consuming the music hasn't changed as it all still
starts with our willingness as an audience to go out and find that information.